Thursday, December 30, 2010

Adventures in Shinjuku and Shibuya!

I should be sleeping because I'm getting up early(ish) to hit up Comiket tomorrow! (World's largest comic book convention anyone? chyeah nerd side comin' out). But I thought I would pen down my adventures around Shinjuku and Shibuya today with Dorothy.

We originally went to Shinjuku to hit up the Shinjuku Gyoen (supposed to be super beautiful!) and the observation tower in the Government Building. However, turns out with it being so close to New Years, both things were closed till around January 3rd! I'll have to go back some other time- look forward to that blog post then  <3

So, wanting to use the day originally for photography practice, both things being closed didn't really halt my plans:




 (More pictures from this shoot to be on Dorothy's blog in the future)
(Dorothy took this one of me.)

To be honest I dunno what this sign says (a few too many kanjis)...but Dorothy and I took it as "don't place your purses here..."
Rebels
 Buildings in Shinjuku:


 The Shinjuku Government Building...with the observation tower we would've gone up...

After Shinjuku we decided "meh, it's close and we've got time...why not hit up Shibuya?" Shibuya is home to a few things I'm sure you all are bound to recognize:

1) Hachiko. Here's the story behind faithful Hachiko- who is a national symbol of loyalty (from wikipedia cause I'm a sleepy bear):

                  "In 1924, Hidesaburō Ueno... took in Hachikō as a pet. During his owner's life Hachikō greeted him at the end of the day at the nearby Shibuya Station. The pair continued their daily routine until May 1925, when Professor Ueno did not return. The professor had suffered from a cerebral hemorrhage and died, never returning to the train station where Hachikō was waiting. Every day for the next nine years the golden brown Akita waited at Shibuya station.
Hachikō was given away after his master's death, but he routinely escaped, returning again and again to his old home. Eventually, Hachikō apparently realized that Professor Ueno no longer lived at the house. So he went to look for his master at the train station where he had accompanied him so many times before. Each day, Hachikō waited for the return of his owner.
The permanent fixture at the train station that was Hachikō attracted the attention of other commuters. Many of the people who frequented the Shibuya train station had seen Hachikō and Professor Ueno together each day. They brought Hachikō treats and food to nourish him during his wait.
This continued for nine years with Hachikō appearing precisely when the train was due at the station"
 Don't ask me why there's an onigiri (rice ball) man in the picture :) 

2) Shibuya 109: Iconic department store. A mecca for "gyaru" fashion. It's got floors and floors of stores but it all starts blending together pretty quickly in my opinion haha. I have a feeling if my little sister were to come here, she would spend a dangerous amount of money.


This leads into the last thing of course
3) Shibuya Crossing: Just watch this...



 That is all for now from me!

No comments: