Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Update x4

Just an update about a few things before I head off to sleep.

1) I felt my second earthquake today! The first time I felt one was in my bedroom a month or so ago (and it was small, only lasted about 5 seconds). This one was a lot bigger and I was in a taaaaall building! It was actually kind of funny...my friend Dorothy was all "it feels like the ground is moving right here..." and I was like "weird..." so she told me to stand where she stood and before I could agree with her, the whole building suddenly started shaking a bunch. My teacher said she thought it was a level 4 (haha still pretty small) but it felt crazy and a bit scary to me because I'm so not used to earthquakes (and I was in a tall building!).

2) This past weekend my friends and I had a girls night, where we made mexican food! I finally got my quesadilla craving satiated. Although I still would love to try Mexican Japanese food at a restaurant here...hopefully someday soon!  (Cheddar cheese is so hard to find in Japan- the real stuff usually only comes in like a tiny block for the equivalent of 9 bucks or something ridiculous. We settled for an okay priced gouda cheddar mix haha)

3) Like I said earlier, my thanksgiving was spent eating Omuraisu. However, the day after thanksgiving, the OUS program (oregon university system) put on a Thanksgiving dinner at a buffet. They didn't have turkey or gravy or anything like that...but we were still able to eat our fill and stuff ourselves. It was really nice. My program coordinator also told me exactly what my host family had said about me during their meeting. She came up to me...thanking me for being a good host student firstly...and then told me how the family doesn't want their daughter to come home from Canada (wants me to stay instead! hahaha) and how if they had a son, they would want me to marry him. Well I wanted to cry when I heard the news...I'm so glad they really like me. I'm having an awesome time with them- I couldn't ask for a better family-They're so silly.

4) Flu shot! My host momma took me to the family doctor yesterday to get my flu shot. When I had first arrived in Japan, she had asked me to get one- (apparently, a past student got sick and spread it to the others in the house. My host-sister can't afford to be sick right now with the studying she has to do...and my host mom of course doesn't want me to be miserable with the flu). While I haven't ever really gotten the flu before, or a flu shot before, I agreed to getting it since I'm living in their house, and there are so many more people living in Tokyo- my risk may be higher of getting sick. Well, leave it to my skin to freak out (just like it did with the mosquitos). I'm getting quite the collection of gross arm photos here in Japan.
Although the doctor did tell me my arm would be a bit red and swollen afterwards...I didn't expect this much?
(last note: The doctor was really funny because he REEKED of cigarettes. Oh Japan, ha)

2 comments:

renae west said...

You seem so surprised that your host family loves you ... I am not surprised - not at all :o). XOXO!

p.s. I get to see you in 3 1/2 months! YAY!

Unknown said...

Im not suprised that your host family loves you. they cant keep you though. LOL you belong to me and darren and noelle and kelsey. You have always had a reaction to shots. be careful. I love you and I hope that the earthquakes are not too scary. I also hope that the next 8 months go by quickly so that I can pick you up at PDX. :-)