Sunday, December 26, 2010

What do? Fashion.

Where to even begin with a post like this? In Tokyo, there are so many different types of styles and subcultures of fashion. Some can come and go faster than you can comprehend even what you just saw. It's an epicenter of creativity and my brain nearly exploded when I first got here.

Back story? I come from Oregon. We are totally chill and relaxed there. If you dress-up, you'll get weird looks all day like "WOAH, WAIT A MINUTE...WHAT'S GOING ON? INTERVIEW? MEETING?" etc. I had an interest in fashion before, but, coming to one of the fashion capitals of the world made me realize just how little I knew about this stuff.

In fact when I first got here, I was so overwhelmed. Nearly EVERYONE was dressing very nicely and looked stylish. And everywhere I looked I was hit with ridiculously cute clothes or accessories and people had their outfits assembled perfectly down to the tiniest of details.

Well after the initial shock of wanting to buy everything I saw, what I soon realized as I shopped with wide eyes, is this:  sure, some clothes look good on Japanese people, but can I really pull that style off as well? My body type is different, and so many things don't fit the same way. This is where my quest to find my own style started.  My friend Dorothy is helping me a lot (cause she's awesome and should be a stylist). You guys should check out her blog here. She does a lot of outfit posts, and reviews of stores in Tokyo- and  she blogs about her own experiences in Japan as well :D

So, in this exploration of style (and requests from some friends) I thought I would start doing outfit posts. Today I'll do a bit of catchup from the last few months.
This is a pretty good representation of what my style was in Oregon: (me on the left, Dorothy on the right. PS: we're doing the Flight of the Conchords band photo in case you couldn't tell.)
Basic stuff really: jeans, sneakers, tee shirt, sweatshirt. Maybe some earrings. It's not awful, and it's perfect for livin' in Eugene, Oregon.
But I'm in Tokyo now and want to at least experiment with switchin' it up a bit.

(disclaimer: I ain't no model. haha) 
So here we go: I present to you, random outfits so far. 

(This next one is my British school boy or English hobbit as Dorothy called it haha)
My friend Tomo also gave me this awesome jacket recently. (It was his mom's, and is apparently too girly for him to wear ha). Perfect timing for winter:


My attempt to be girly?
I am real bad at being a girl basically ;|
 A few odds and ends:
This is my backpack pictured above. The alpaca is now retired to my desk (he was gettin a bit trashed)
And this is the watch I'm wearing in like, all of these photos:

This is a 'Poncho' Jacket I bought from Harajuku a while back. (aaaand there's another red hat)
 I do love my red hats...

And don't even get me started on how much I love my lambswool sweater from Uni Qlo for those lazier days (also seen in the hobbit look):
lawl slippers
( Close up of the above shoes: )

I'm not trying to emulate Japanese fashion, but I want to explore my own ways of dressing. If you guys were hoping to learn about Japanese fashion though or something, sorry to disappoint. I'm not an expert in it...Google is your friend.
Anyway, that's it for now. I will try doing outfit posts at least once a week :D Sorry if this post seemed a bit disorganized.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi, I'm Mikaela. I'm the cutest shit in the world. Don't believe me? Kay, here are some photos of me being adorable to prove it.

That is all. Have a good Christmas knowing you'll never be as cute as me.

renae west said...

you are adorable and i want to squeeze your face