Friday, December 10, 2010

Sumo Mochi

Pounding Rice+ Sumo Wrestlers = one awesome school event
So, Tuesday, my friend and I went to a mochi-making event that was held at our school. For those of you not in the know, Mochi is basically pounded rice that turns into this sticky glob of chewy delicious cake thing. In America (and I'm sure other places) mochi ice cream is really popular right now! But anyway, traditionally it looks like this: (although Mochi can take many forms...google it for more pictures. <3 )
The piece on the back has a kind of nutty seasoning and the piece in the front is topped with Azuki Beans (red beans, which are used in dessert foods a lot here).
My friend, Ghislaine eating the mochi:
We also got this awesome soup, just thought I would share: (Tofu and Veggies!)

Anyway back to the Mochi. Making it is usually done in a ceremony called Mochitsuki. It's eaten year round, but traditionally eaten at New Years. The process involves cooking the rice, then with a team of two people, one person pounds it with a wooden mallet in this traditional mortar while another turns it and wets it down. (They have to be careful and keep a steady rhythm so the person doesn't get their hand hit. Example: Pound, turn, pound, turn etc etc). Here's some photos to give you the idea:
Before the pounding, when it's still in rice form.
Starting to smoosh it together
The thing with mochi is, it is HOT! Whoever has to wet it down with their hand, walks away with red fingers and palms.
And the pounding begins! (you can see the lower guy has a bowl of water right below his hand)
To keep the rhythm they usually do a little chant too. Like "oo ishyo!" or something haha.
We got to try it out too!
Don't hit her hand! Keep a steady rhythm
I can totes pound mochi in a skirt and heels! Haha
Well, anyway you get the idea. This festival was fun in its own. And then, the Sumo wrestlers showed up!
Introducing themselves
You don't expect Sumo wrestlers to pound mochi like this do you?
That's more like it.

Overall, my friend and I definitely got our culture in for the day. Oh man, it was so much fun and very interesting and delicious.

 _____________________________________________________


Lastly, just thought I would share these pictures near my house, because the sunset coming home was so beautiful that day:

Anyway I'm still workin' on that fashion post! It'll be worth the wait, I promise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow. these pics make me wish that I was there. firstly, I love the fact that your hat matches the whole theme thing. secondly, the sumo wrestlers are really cool, thirdly the sunset is beautiful and lastly. I want the blue kimono with the dragonflys on it. :-D