Sunday, December 19, 2010

Setagaya 'Boroichi'


Setagaya is the area I live in. Every year they have a big famous festival called 'Boroichi'. I guess it has been going on since 1578- and happens every year in December, and then again in January.  It is basically a bunch of people who set up shops to sell second hand items, food, plants, crafts, antiques and other items. (Looking up the numbers, I found out there's usually around 700 shops and 200,000 people attend).  I went with my Host momma and pappa last Wednesday. It was really crowded but very fun! I want to go again in January.

Anyway, here's some shots I got from the day.
Middle School Band
Wall of Keychains

Yaki soba anyone?

Eating area
What I ended up eating: (among other things haha) I honestly don't know what this is...Kind of smashed up fish and veggies on a stick :D
Ramune Bottles
I also tried this stuff my Host dad was drinking called 'amazake' which is often served at street vendor type places. It's a hot, sweet, low alcoholic drink made from fermented rice. It's supposed to be good for you but I had a hard time drinking it half way thru haha. The taste wasn't my favorite. (Here's a pic from where they sold it... it's cute cause the little faces drawn on the posters are made up of the kanji of 'sake'.)
SO MUCH TEA
Santa Claus!
Mochi wrapped in leaves


And Ladies and Gents, my host dad. He looks kinda sad, but he's always very silly!

 And that's about it for the Boroichi. If you guys are interested in learning more about it, there's an article from The Japan Times here.
 __________________________________________________

As always, unless otherwise specified, the pictures taken on my blog are by me. Recently, I got the question of "What kind of camera do you use?"   So to answer that...
I use a Nikon D60 with a 35 mm lens (gives me that short depth of field) :D
-If anyone loves photography out there, critique is always welcome (I'm also studying art....so help is appreciated. Lately I've been feelin' in a rut actually!)

No comments: