Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What are your classes like? Are they set up like American college classes? Are they mostly taught by Japanese professors? Are they harder or easier that U of O? Are they all mostly lecture oriented?

Firstly, Japan school starts in the spring and goes till like February (so I will have a long spring break this year haha) and they are on the semester system!

My classes are special because I'm a SILS student. It's the english speaking department in school- (another way to say this would be...kids can only take the classes there if they speak english). Usually my classes are an hour and a half, although some classes, like Japanese and my Kabuki class are double blocks- which means sitting in class for 3 hours loooong (a 15 minute break is there).
Basically the system for choosing the classes is the same, although their times to add and drop classes are a bit more shorter and strict. Also, the class won't tell you if you've been accepted into it right away! You have to "sign up" and then wait for your "confirmation email" within the next few days...
The professors aren't just Japanese, they come from all over the place! This can be good and bad. For example: my kabuki teacher is Japanese but teaches at schools in California whereas my photography teacher is Japanese and can't speak english so the whole class is frustrating. Then like my history teacher is from America, Dorothy has a British professor, one of my Japanese teachers is Korean .... etc etc etc there's a lot of diversity.
Most of my classes are easier than at UO. I think I mentioned this before, kids in Japan study their butts off to get into the school they want(my host sister) and then when they're finally there it's party time. At first I was a bit frustrated with this system but now that I'm in Japan and a lazy pile and don't want to do any school work (just want to have fun) I'm okay with how easy the classes are! hahaha.

Most classes are lecture oriented...I think all of mine are actually. Even my photography class. We don't get to go out and shoot- and we only have one final picture taking project at the end of the term (kind of disappointing), but we do get to go on a few excursions like to the Camera Museum...so that's nice.
I guess Japanese classes are a bit different though (not lecture oriented) but they're kind of the same as in America except NO ENGLISH for the most part...:)

Ask me about Japan!

No comments: