Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How do you embarrass yourself most? AKA: Biggest and hardest to get used to culture shocks?

I embarrass myself all the time when I try to speak and use "new things I've learned!" that just turns into me makin' a fool of myself. But you have to be open to that or else you'll be too afraid to try and will never get better right?
One day I got super lost after I rode the train...I took the wrong exit and walked around for 40 minutes in the heat trying to find my school haha. I finally got up the courage to ask some lil old ladies where Okuma Auditorium was (my school basically) and they were so helpful! Can't be afraid to talk haha.

I dunno if this is random, but it's kinda related to culture shock: there's not a wide range of people in Japan (mostly everyone's Japanese) so, if you're a foreigner you stick out and people stare at you all the tiiiime. Some days it's a bit annoying...but when you yourself notice other foreigners you're all "HO CRIPES LOOK-" and stare hahaha
Also on a side note, I'm kinda interested to see what reverse culture shock will be like. The culture shock that hits when you go home and realize that- "woah, yes I was in a totes different place for a whole year"
I'm not experiencing culture shock maybe too much yet? I dunno, it's hard to say , I've been to Japan before so I kinda knew what to expect this time... I'm having 'big city shock'. Sometimes, when it is so crowded I just get in such an irritated mood and like, can't wait to go home. There's other frustrations too...why doesn't Japan have bike lanes? (i've mentioned this before), Why don't people shout out when they're about to run into you with their bikes? (had to pull dorothy out of the way from a POLICE man who was about to run into her), Why aren't there trashcans ANYWHERE?, Why is Japan so concerned with the environment but then treats plastic like it ain't no big deal?, why are people still allowed to smoke in restaurants?, Why don't most Japanese girls wash their hands after using the bathroom?, Why is there beans in my pillow?, etc etc..

But then America, Why don't we have the flushing noise machines in the woman's bathrooms?, why can't we walk around drinking alcohol on the sidewalk and in the park like it ain't no thang?, why don't we try harder to dress (In Japan everyone is crazy fashionistaaas and I enjoy it)?, why do we have to have people bugging us on street corners for money everyday? why can't our supermarkets have little smelling testers so you can see which soap you like the best? etc etc...

My point is I guess, there's good and bad to every place. And it's fun to see the differences and how people live :D

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Beans in your pillow? Whadddafug?

mifuyu64 said...

After sarin gas attack occurred in Tokyo, trashcans are removed from public place in
Japan for couter-terrorism.

Mikaela said...

Wow I did not know that! Thank you for letting me know (it explains a lot)