Friday, November 26, 2010

i'm loving your blog. japan is so interesting and beautiful. i know that not all japanese girls are skinny and tiny but i think i'd still feel like a giant if i were to live in japan. do you ever feel too big?

Ah yes, not all Japanese girls are tiny but oh man- a lot of them are. Now, I'm only 5 ft 4, so I'm about the average height here, but my body type is a bit thicker. One night, my host mom and sister and I were comparing the sizes of our wrists and they were surprised to see how thick mine were! (As my host sister said "wow, you'd be so strong at tennis" haha). I don't feel too big though....sure, jeans don't fit me here as well as they do in America (cause I gots curves) and sure, I bought a size LL shoe the other day (but my feet are only size 7.5!) but you have to keep in mind the differences of body types in the cultures- and really try not to let it get to you and have confidence.

I felt a bit paranoid about my size when I first got here, but that was for a few reasons:
-1) Foreigner...which means most people will STARE at you. Which can make you self conscious with how you are perceived.
-2) Fashion...I will make another blog post about this later but people are so fashionable here, and it's the people who aren't dressed up that stick out usually! I really tried to (and am working on) my own personal style that suits me.
-3) Poundage...During the summer I had put on a few extra pounds... but now due to the change of diet, riding my bike everyday and climbing mass amounts of stairs, I've lost 10 pounds since getting here, and feel a lot better about myself.

I digress, tldr; different body types. I can feel big sometimes but I'm not Japanese - it's how I'm built and I can't change that, so might as well rock it. Haha, maybe I would feel different if I was taller...like my friend Nick- he's tall and all the Japanese girls are gaga over him- I'm sure there's times when he feels giant.

Ask me about Japan!

4 comments:

Alexandra said...

thanks for answering my question! you have a great attitude, it's no wonder your host family enjoy you. i'm taller than you and i think i would feel self-conscious about being big. i used to live in a flat with two of my favorite girlfriends and they are shorter and petite and i always felt like a lumberjack around them - i still do! but i guess it really is something that i just need to work on haha. you should do some posts on the clothes you've bought. i know it's a typical girly thing to request fashion but i love it.
anyway, thanks for sharing. you're a honey.
alex.

Anonymous said...

This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday..

Anonymous said...

Mate. This blog is amazing. How can I make it look this good ?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this wonderful post.Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.