Thursday, November 25, 2010

Host Family and Harry Potter

I totally forgot it is Thanksgiving today~ So Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Eat turkey and gravy and pie for mee. (Tomorrow, all the Oregon students, some Japanese students and I will be celebrating by going out to a big dinner....details to be reported later.)

I woke up this morning with a note from my host mom:  (Translated from Japanese of course haha)
              "Dear Mikaela, Enjoy breakfast! I left to go teach Japanese. Could you please let Rara out before you go like usual? Also...for dinner tonight, shall we eat OMURAISU?"
Now my dear friends, while I am missing Thanksgiving...I EFFIN LOVE OMURAISU <3 <3 <3 <3 and my host mom. Omuraisu is the smooshing together of two words: omelet and rice...It looks like this:
From Website: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3329/3511141823_ecb5f2e95c.jpg
It's all ketchupy and delicious @_@
Over the weekend, all the host families went to meet with our program director to check in...My friend Rachel informed me that her host mom told her, that at the meeting, my program director was mentioning a girl who lived in Setagaya-ku who was PERFECT and totally adored by her family....
The only girl besides Rachel who lives in Setagaya-ku IS ME. Which means.... MY HOST FAMILY ROVES ME!!!!!!  It makes me all happy cause I'm always paranoid about stuff like that haha. I digress. Things are going good basically. These are pictures of the backyard (deck area) I took last weekend when it was sunny:


The Big Persimmon Tree in the yard!:


Anyway, On Tuesday we had a no school day (national holiday). So after studying all day I went and met friends to see HARRY POTTER (which I really liked! I loved the animation in the middle). But afterwards, across from the Shinjuku train station they had an 'Illumination' set up. Illumination in Japan is what we call "christmas lights" haha. They are still Christmas lights in Japan, but my friend Kanako says "hey wanna go see the Illumination" instead of "hey let's go look at the christmas lights" !

They also had this biiig Christmas tree that you are supposed to walk through with your bf/gf and push a button on the inside...whatever color lit up was what you would be lucky in! Well, we threw out the couple rule and all walked in together (haha friendship time). I forget what all the colors mean, but like yellow is happiness, and red is passion etc etc. We got RAINBOW! Which is like the best you can get cause it means you'll be lucky in all aspects! It was so magical hahaha




Some last little note I guess. While all y'all back in Oregon are getting ready for finals...well I officially just got done with midterms today. I wanted to share what my Kanji midterm was like (because I'm always complaining about kanji....here's why): 
150 characters...an average of 3 readings each...that's 450 words and combinations we had to memorize because we didn't know what was going to be on the test.
Here's my paper from practicing strokes during another class....by the end of the class my friend from Spain was laughing at me and telling me I looked like a crazy person from The Shining.  (ignore the map of america...I had to show her where Oregon was in the U.S. haha):

But, I basically kicked the test in the face! Meaning I totes didn't fail ! haha (though I didn't exactly score an A...I feel proud)! 


Final note...As I type I'm wrapped in like 2 blankeys... 
Dear Dad, I won't complain about your house being cold anymore...the temp inside the house right now here, is 62 degrees. (although when I got home my host mom looked like an ice cube and told me people were coming to fix the heater)...cause it's not the usual whopping 65 degrees inside hahaha

No comments: