Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hokkaido Part 2

Hi, I'd like to introduce you all to my new pet. Doesn't have a name yet...but in Japanese is known as Marimo. I guess the english translation would be "Ball Seaweed".
 I am crazy for getting this? Maybe. But they are "rare"--- colonies of these algae balls only form in certain lakes in Iceland, Scotland, Japan (Hokkaido), and Estonia. Well, I was in Hokkaido...! And plus, Japan view these as a "national treasure". Also...if I take good care of it apparently all my wishes will come true and it will bring me luck, love and happiness and stuff.
 I can't make this up guys. There's a whole festival in Hokkaido in honor of this plant because it's an important part of Ainu culture (the indigenous people of Japan).
(Actually, since I got mine from a souvenier shop at the last second...I doubt it is actually "authentic" marimo- with it being a protected species and all...but it's totes the thought that counts!...yeah?)

This is part 2 out of 2 of my trip to Hokkaido.
I ended last time saying I slept away the day lying under a kotatsu at my friend, Phylicia's apartment. Well the day was finished watching/laughing at crappy Nicolas Cage movies and eating overpriced pizza. Pizza in Japan really deserves a post on its own- You get a tiny tiny excuse for a pizza that will cost you a bajillion dollars....and sometimes it's topped with corn, mayo, and tuna. I'll say it again guys, I can't make this up.
The whole reason we got pizza though, is because of the restaurant down the street called "Strawberry Cones Pizza." Yeap with a name like that you gotta try it.
We included the quarter for size comparison...(ha- like the fact that we even had a quarter lying around?)

The next day we all ventured out for Soup Curry round 2 while practicing our best Nicolas Cage impressions.

"We're gonna kidnap the president of the United States"
"My hair is a bird, your argument is invalid"
Ref:
(Don't believe it? Just watch Bangkok Dangerous...I dare you)

ANYWAY SOUP CURRY

After that was the "Shiroi Koibito Chocolate Museum". (Shiroi Koibito = white lovers. They are a Hokkaido specialty as well...Kind of like a Milano cookie but with white chocolate in the middle.)


You know Kissington from 10th kingdom...this was totally the place....
Me and Phylicia...
And Yu-San!

And inside the factory....making the cookies



Well, Rex and I were kind of confused because for it being a chocolate factory, it also had a lot of random stuff included...such as this motorcycle....

and a gramaphone museum?
Nipper!

and a huge collection of toys including this gem we found:


The last day of Hokkaido, we wanted to hit up the famous Asahiyama Zoo (famous because in the winter when the penguins get too fat, they actually take them on walks through the park 2 times a day.) But after realizing the zoo would be a 100 dollar train ride, we decided to eat Miso Ramen once more and try to find the Ainu Museum (which turned out to be closed). Basically a day of fail, minus the delicious ramen. We walked around a lot and watched them bulldoze the snow festival creations (since the festival had ended the previous day).
I dare you not to drool:
Can I just say I will miss ramen SOOO much when I go back home (but I guess that is the price I have to pay if I want to eat Mexican food again...)

Although we flew to Hokkaido, we decided it might be fun to take trains, including the shinkansen (bullet train), home back to Tokyo. I enjoyed the sights




All in all though, I really like Hokkaido. It was nice to get away from Tokyo for a while and expirience some nature. My friends and I agreed that downtown Sapporo kind of reminded us of Portland, Oregon- ( they are sister cities after all!). But, my feet are GLAD to be home. I mean, we did TONS of walking and normally I would be fine...but I somehow managed to injure my Achilles tendon on my right foot and my left foot was being rubbed raw from slipping and sliding all over the place in my boots.

 Tomorrow's a pile day for sure
After all...I have to rest up because in 4 days...I leave for Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam with my friend Jamie.
Stole this from her blog: It's our route!

We'll be backpacking around till March 11th.
 I'm SO excited. My blog headline of "My life in Japan" will have to temporarily switch to "my life in Japan when I have a 2 month spring break and decide to travel forever". 

No comments: