Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Normal Life

So school started last week and my life has return to "normal" or so it feels like. I'm getting more used to riding trains and my host families house feels like my home too. But of course, Japan sneaks in there and surprises you still.

Tuesday morning 7:30 am waiting for the train. It flashes by and my eyes go wide. It comes to a stop and the doors open. The only thought I have in my head is, "UH... HOW I GET IN TRAIN?"  It is packed to the brim! I understand why there are women only cars now for the morning commute (which is the ones I ride in of course). I somehow, along with 3 other ladies, managed to squish in. It's amazing basically.


Last Sunday some Japanese and Oregon friends and I went to Shinjuku. Sunday is kind of everyone's "yasumi no hi" or day of rest. In Shinjuku, it gets really crowded - so I guess they close down certain streets so people can just walk down the middle of it instead of really crowding the sidewalks..

Sunday also means all the srs business fashionistas come out. You see a lot of Lolita (kind of doll fashion for those of you who don't know. google search) And I saw some cosplay too (costume play):
THEY LOOK SO MUCH LIKE JOHNNY DEPP!!!
"sumimasen, shashin wo totte mo ii desuka? @A@" 
They were advertising something but I'm not sure what. (photo by Dorothy by the way).

Found this on my camera later...either the boys or Doro stole my camera haha.
Extreeeeeme Closeup! 
Also I was pooped on by a bird for the first time in my life. NIIIICE right, well I guess Daichi tells me it's good luck. But I didn't believe him, so after I told my other Japanese friend the story the first thing she says is "IT'S GOOD LUCK!" Whaaat Japan whaaaaat?

The next week (on Saturday) we went to see Bio-Hazard finally. (aka Resident Evil 4) But while at the movie theater, a surprise guest made an appearance....Shoko Nakagawa!  She is a famous Japanese pop singer and just showed up at the movie theater and had a mini concert. How random:


Anyway, it's interesting because most Japanese stay put during the credits after a movie ends. I was like "kay are we going? ....Nope guess not" haha

This last Sunday we had a Barbeque with the Niji no Kai (international student) club. Like, 206 people showed up to this place known as Izumitamagawa (which apparently is where everyone goes to have BBQS). It was a looot of fun. Japanese BBQs consist of Yaki soba, yaki niku, and veggies. (In English that would be grilled noodles and meat).
I don't know what's going on here. 
GUESS WHICH FOOT IS MINE:

If you said the one with the Alpaca on it then YUS. Alpacas for me are the new Tofu btw. At Harajuku, you can buy all these ridiculously cute socks. It is dangerous.

In other news, I'm getting more used to riding a bicycle kind of....The fact that I'm wearing a skirt and heels doesn't slow me down! haha.

Other shots:

This Basically sums up Karaoke Night
Karaoke is really fun in Japan because you rent a room for like 2 hours with your friends and can order food or drinks and just have fun! I think in this picture we were all singing Spice Girls.

AND HI
Me and Yusuke.. but What am I doing? 

That's all for now. I am crazy busy with everything going on still and it doesn't look like it'll slow down anytime soon (good!).  I got my Japanese bank account all set up, and my phone is awesome! Here's a video of it in action:  



My service bars are shown in Matroshka dolls! There's a big hype for them right now. (I even bought Matroshka socks. )

4 comments:

Unknown said...

great blog!!! everything is new and exciting. I knew the bird poop was lucky. Fave pics, the karaoke and the JD look alikes. Ha Ha. Love you soooo much.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah. the phone is so Japanese. cute

L.Smejkal said...

Wow those cosplayers are amazing and so is your phone {and you! :3 }!

~Lauren S~

melodyhana said...

OMG I WANTS YOUR PHOOOOONE. And the Johnny Depps too haha