Sunday, October 31, 2010

Host Family Part III

"Tell us about living in their house. What are the rules? Where is the profile of the dog?"

Happy Halloween Everybody! I will post later about what I did this busy weekend, but first I thought I would talk about my host family a bit more and answer a few more questions I got with them.

A typical day at my house: Wake up at either 6:20 or 9:30 and shower. I eat breakfast sometimes by myself, sometimes with family members if they're not busy, and then finish going ready before going to school. After school I will come home around 6:30 and do homework or go on my computer for a bit before dinner is ready (around 7:30 or 8 usually). Most of the time the entire family eat together, but sometimes Hanako has cram school (extra school session after regular school for studying) and comes home late. Everyone talks and watches tv, sometimes I show them things from what I did that day (pictures) or check out Hanako's homework (she's a smarty pants!), or I look at cookbooks with my host mom....After dinner I kind of help my host mom straighten up the dining room then usually go do homework/computer/read/ and sleep. On Wednesdays my classes start later in the day so I usually do laundry then and clean my room if I need to. My host mom said she didn't mind doing my laundry but I told her I could do it no problem. Like I said before, they're a very awesome family and don't have many strict guidelines for me to follow, but there are a few rules:

-No boys over: I'm allowed to have friends over but not friends that are guys. I can't really understand this one because Hanako's best friend is a boy and comes over sometimes and that's okay haha.
-Only use the shower from 6 am to 11 pm: can't use it at 3 in the morning- dang ;)
-Can only use my computer in my room: my host mom said the last student they had would spend all her time on the computer and would bring it into the living room. Some family member would try to talk to her and she was so engaged on the internet all the time that they could never have a good conversation with her. So now the computer stays in my room- I have no problem with this.
-Curfew is the last train: Again, no problem with this rule either. I'm allowed to stay at a friend's house if I want to but if I'm coming home, I have to be home by the last train- usually around midnight. If I, for some reason, missed my train home it would suck because I'd either have to 1) pay a bajillion dollars to take a taxi or 2) hang out in a 24 hour restaurant until 5 am when the trains start running again. So yeah, no problems with this rule.
-No smoking at the house: Not a smoker so it doesn't matter....
-No drinking at the house: My host dad is trying to stay healthy and not drink alcohol, so everyone is not going to drink at the house to support him. This is also fine because if I want to drink, I go out with my friends.
-Dinner rules: I can come late to dinner as long as I send my host mom an email...She will keep my dinner until 10 pm. I can miss dinner too (like if I'm going out with friends) as long as I send my host mom an email by 6 (before she goes to the supermarket).
-Other things? I have to have my own shampoo, soap, and toothpaste.

Overall, these rules all make sense and are totally fine by me so it's really easy to live here and I really like it.

Also...dog's profile:  RARA-chan aka Oba-san (grandma)


Rara is a really old doggie that can't see well (eyes are white) but she's sooo cute and is my bff basically. Haha, it'll be really funny and kind of sad because you'll be sitting down watching tv or at the table and can hear random bumps all of a sudden- it'll be rara running into things on accident. She's pretty good about where things are, but the trouble comes when doors are shut (there's a door that goes from the main hallway to the kitchen/living room/dining room area).
My host mom likes to teach her commands in german...something that sounds like "HAUS" but I don't speak german so I don't know what it means exactly. haha, she gets treats of apple or asian pears after dinner and can be a bit whiny sometimes- nothing that I haven't experienced with Tatsu (my pug dog) though.
I also have to be careful because I've scared her a few times on accident. She can't see so when I come up behind her and she doesn't know who it is she'll get all scared and run away. Usually though I can pick her up, and sometimes she'll sit on my lap in my room when I use the computer.
She's kind of strange because she likes being in my room all the time and I have no idea why. I've had to keep my door shut because I don't want her getting into anything of mine, but if I leave it open we'll always be like "where's rara?" and she'll just be in my room like it ain't no thang.


wow I wrote a lot about the dog. If anyone has anymore host family questions lemme know :D

No comments: