Saturday, October 9, 2010

How do you walk past this and NOT buy it?

Someone answer me this...how can you not buy this after seeing it? You know those little toy machines where you put a quarter or whatever in and they give you a prize...well Japan has a bunch of them- but today, one in particular caught my eye:


IN CASE YOU CAN'T READ JAPANESE, (or pictures?) THAT WOULD BE "DOG WIG"

Oh Japan you are so crazy-  Dorothy and I had to buy one: we ended up with the pink Mohawk. Dorothy let me take it home first so I could try it on Rara, my host familie's dog...but I think eventually we'll be sending it to our friend Tania for her chihuahua, Tank.

OH RARA:
Obviously not amused
 Hanako and Rara
BUT CUTE.

Anyway, Today we went to Ikebukuro. We were supposed to go to a Jazz Festival in Yokohama but the rain halted our plans. But that's okay! Because we had a lot of fun. In Ikebukuro they have this huge, I don't know what to call it even...Mall? It's called "SUNSHINE CITY" in the Sunshine 60 building and it is the most random place ever. The whole time I was so confused. Wikipedia says this:  "The complex, which was opened in 1978, contains the Sunshine 60 building with an observatory (observation deck) located at the top, the Ancient Orient Museum, an aquarium, and a planetarium. It also features a Prince Hotel, Namco Namja Town, a convention centre, theatre, and a shopping mall." 

I guess it also has one of the fastest elevators in the world (22.4 mph). Namco Namja is where we spent a lot of time. It's sort of like a carnival...it has a whole bunch of food, a haunted house, and a ton of games. The whole place is huge too and has different themes. One was "ice cream world" (yeah, had to go there)...I had "sea salt vanilla", which I have been wanting to try for forever!

 There's a promo going on in Namco Namja for this anime called "Kuroshitsuji" or "Black Butler." Rex went to stand next to this nice poster and some random Japanese guy joined him for the photo haha! Many high fives followed.

In the "haunted" part of the Namco Namja, there's a whole bunch of things you can interact with. For example, you have to be careful where you sit or you'll end up activating some trigger and a scary dead thing will pop up out from nowhere.
We told Nick to go sit in this demon chair:
He looks so scared! Haha
It lit up and this creepy voice came on and crazy lights happened followed by the whole chair shaking. It was a neat place, considering the fact that the bathroom even was decked out.


There's normal stalls too, but they're all Japanese style toilets! Haha, so if you want to use a western style you gotta go here or find a different bathroom. When you shut the door, theirs flashy lights and all that fun stuff accompanied by a creepy voice. 

All in all good day, but JEEZ WHY DO WE HAVE TO HAVE SCHOOL ON SATURDAYS? I want you all to be thinking of me at 6:30 AM on Saturday when you're cozy in bed and I am usually riding my bike in the rain to catch a train for my 9 AM class. ;)

Other shots of the day:
Hmm? HMM!

Sorry it's a bit blurry :(
Fashion shot of the day!  Working on my photography skillz
Purikura again of course! 

Sorry, the left hand side got cut out a bit for some reason...



Last note...This is what I ate for lunch a few days ago...TAKOYAKI. In english that would be GRILLED OCTOPUS

Soo good! They're little balls filled with pieces of octopus, and then on top is this sweet sauce and Japanese mayonnaise and then fish flakes (Just like Okonomiyaki...if you can remember from my previous post!)
One is cut in half so you can see the inside
Some people have asked me if I think my Japanese is getting better yet...I can't tell really. As far as I know, it is...but I still feel like I'm bad of course!

(*Also side note, Tokyo is the best diet ever. Already have lost 4 pounds from all the walking, biking, stair climbing, and of course vegetable induced diet. <3! Yay! )

4 comments:

happyhibisci@gmail.com said...

OMG DOG WIG OMG SO FUNNY
Permission to post this on my Tumblr?

And your Japanese is probably getting way better just being around it all the time! Except maybe you're not around it all the time... because I've heard that most Japan residents like to practice their English on foreigners. Is it true?

Mikaela said...

Haha yes you can use it :D

And there's only one person that has wanted to practice english with me rather than speak Japanese. Haha, my host family and most of my friends can barely speak it... so I gotta use Japanese ! which is good xD

Unknown said...

looks like a really good time. octopus balls and all LOL

Tania said...

...I expect at least two more of those wigs in my package when I get it from dorothy. Tank needs a different wig for each day of the week.