Friday, March 11, 2011

Biggest Earthquake in 140 Years

I arrived home this morning all safe and sound: Had a delicious Family Mart corn dog and my first HOT shower in 3 weeks~As I was preparing to update my blog with a sneak peak about my travels....my plans were halted due to the 8.9 magnitude earthquake.

I've never experienced earthquakes before Japan....and after the shaking of this one halted, everyone I talked to said it was the scariest one they've ever felt in their lives. In case you're interested....where I was (my house in Tokyo), it started out very soft but soon the shaking intensified. After some seconds without the shakes ceasing, I had realized "oh cripes this is a big one...." and went to open my room door (you don't want to be trapped in a room if anything happens). I stood in my doorway of my room and my host mom called down the stairs to check on me from where her and my host sister were taking cover upstairs. I remember the shaking getting really bad- (no help from my knees trembling haha).  Pictures crashed to the floor, vases tipped over knocking over some plants. A lot of things fell off shelves and broke but somehow the china managed to survive.
 And then....the serious shaking stopped and all that was left was some swaying.

That's my experience with the earthquake so far. Even as I write the house is still moving from aftershocks every once in a while...and it's been 4 hours. My host family and I turned on the T.V. to see how it's been hitting other parts of the city and country...and by now you can see it too. The earthquakes triggered a 10 meter tsunami which is hitting the coastlines....buildings are catching on fire..Narita airport has been temporarily shut down...trains are down as well as cell phones (luckily internet still works)....people are being evacuated.

We are doing fine. Though parts of the country are not so fine to say the least.
And now there are tsunami warnings for Hawaii and even Oregon.

I will keep you guys updated ~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mikaela, I am so happy to hear that you and your host family are safe. How scary! The devastation we are seeing on the news is tremendous. Our hearts go out to the people in Japan. I am also bummed for Jessica and Stephanie. It appears their travel plan will need to be changed. Take care and keep us updated. Love, Aunt Caren

Stephanie said...

I love you my muffin bun!
E-mail/text me when you can.

Kelsey said...

Scary! I'm so glad that you are safe!