Saturday, March 12, 2011

Earthquake Geography

Hay guys. This is an update and a post for those of you unsure about the geography of Japan. A lot of names are being thrown around: "fukushima" "sendai" etc, so I thought I would let you know where all this stuff is in relation to where I am (Tokyo).

I took this from my friend Lucy's blog:

Here's one more image of where exactly earthquakes hit.

So as you can see, Tokyo was really lucky. It's the Sendai area which got hit the hardest.

The reason why I highlight Fukushima is because that's where the nuclear reactor is (aka my mom's biggest worry). People have been evacuated from that area, though Tokyo is fine right now because it's about 160 miles away. They are working on getting it under control. As long as nothing goes wrong with that, my trip here should continue on normally.

 People are preparing for the possibility of a second big earthquake but my host mom assured me we have water and food stored away in case anything drastic happens. I think, or rather hope, the worst is over. I'm still doing fine and I'm finally in contact with all my friends here-my phone is working again and the trains are starting to run, but most people are staying home since there are still a lot of aftershocks coming.

I think that's all for now.  Thank you all for your warm wishes...I woke up with 50 new emails this morning! It was nice after listening to helicopters, sirens, and my phone's scary earthquake alarm going off all night.

My thoughts go out to those who were hit hardest by the quake.

*If you want to donate, don't do it at just any place (make sure it's not a scam). The RedCross is accepting donations via their website and text messaging and GlobalGiving.org is as well. Even Lady Gaga is selling bracelets on her site~

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Mee-K. Thanks for the updates. Ily and Ryann say hi and we are all glad that you are safe!