Sunday, September 19, 2010

POP QUIZ!!!

If you were in Japan, which button would you push to flush the toilet?




Correct Answer is....NONE OF THE ABOVE. :) They have normal flushers, just like us.
However, the trick is, sometimes you can't see the flusher. It might be automatic or behind the toilet seat lid. Japanese "western style" toilets are really intricate. They have seat warmers, fountains, "call for help buttons", little buttons that when you push them they make noises like a river or something (to cover up your noises or help you pee or whatever), and automatic lid lowerers and upperers. If you don't know which button to push (and can't read kanji)...I would recommend staying away from the buttons haha.

I said earlier in quotations "western style toilets" because the traditional japanese style toilet looks like this:
Photo from:   http://thetechmatteranswer.com/wp-content/gallery/japanese-wc/traditional-toilet.jpg
I have to use this style every once in a while....They are common in train stations and parks and things. But, back in the samurai days where everyone would wear kimono and intricate robe like clothes, it would be too much of a hassle to undo their entire outfit to sit down...so they just hike it up instead and squat...and voila ! the invention of this style toilet.

Anyway! Enough about toilets.  How about giant subway systems which are necessary for me to learn this year:
I circled Waseda, my school, although it might be hard to see because there's so much going on. If you want a better picture just do a google search of "tokyo subway map" or something.

My host families home is towards the bottom left past Shibuya...it's not seen on the map but the area is known as Setagaya. A few of the Japanese students at orientation told me the area is known for the rich people who live there. If you're interested, you can read about it here:  Wikipedia!
I have about a 55 minute commute to school. I have to either walk or ride a bike to a station...and then switch trains halfway though. Normally I would be like "lemme ride the bike"! But there aren't bike lanes in Tokyo and there's so many people, I'm afraid I would hit someone. I'm going to try and learn how though or else it'll be a 20 minute walk.
Anyway, after orientation yesterday we found out our host families (like I said earlier)... My host mom went to school to meet me:
Please excuse how sweaty I look hahaha it was so hot.  (luckily, we had our luggage shipped to our families homes so we didn't have to carry them!)
Anyway my host mom's name is Tomoko, age 52. On the information sheet I got it says she likes Gardening, making things by hand, baking sweets, and that she has a license of a Japanese Teacher (and later I learned she's traveled  A LOT and has lived in Germany). It's really funny because she likes to talk to me in Japanese really fast and doesn't really stop to make sure I understand, so I just try to listen and follow and ask questions at some point...right now it's hard but hopefully I'll get better.

 The rest of the family and Tomoko again:
The Dad is Mikio (likes classical music), and then two daughters and A PUPPY. (not really. She's super old and can't see) BUT SO CUTE. One of the daughters (tallest) named Rikako who is 16, is in Canada right now studying abroad. The other, Hanako (18) likes watching movies like me... But right now she is studying to get into the hardest school in Tokyo. (Todei for those of you in the know). She will study super hard until February or March and take the college entrance exams. So, I guess besides meals I won't be seeing much of her till then. 

Here's what my home looks like:
Area where you take off your shoes. (no shoe wearing in the house!)
Traditional Japanese style room (used for special occasions)
Dining room leading into the living room...
Living room
The Kitchen!
Backyard. (I'll have to get a picture of the garden later, it's so nice!) 
My room! It's also so nice!
My closet...before I put anything in it haha
CUTE BLIND PUPPY

And yeah! That's about it for the house. I'll have to get some pictures of the area surrounding it. It's so nice! Reminds me of California a bit.


Here's also pictures from a few other things we did with Waseda students.

Bar (western style). Drinking age in Japan is 20. They are so not strict here it's crazy different. For example, you can walk around the street and drink, and also they hardly check ids in bars.
Every school in Japan has a looot of clubs- and in college, the club activities include going to bars and having drinking parties. It's very common! We went to a bar with some students from the WIC and Niji no Kai clubs (international clubs) who have been helping us out all week.
Kanpai! (cheers!) HUGE BEERS. 
Oh! and these are the shirts that some of the WIC members were wearing:
Yes that would be Ted Kulongoski on the shirt....! haha


Other things.....
Lunch one day:

This would be: Udon noodles with wakame (seaweed) and daikon (raddish)...and then Chicken Katsu (katsu is like...breaded and fried thing) on top of salad which is on top of rice. A LOT TO EAT

CHEESE! 
That's it for now. On the 21st I choose my classes and buy a cell phone, the 22nd I get to open up a bank account, the 23rd I get to go to Kamakura! and the 25th I go on a tour of Tokyo (to Asakusa and a history museum) YUSS  Then classes start on the 27th.  BUSY BUSY


*Oh by the way, like my new layout? Maddie Copp made my header for me (I added the text). -Thank you Maddie! <3

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The header is so perfect. Please tell Tomoko thank you for me, for taking my wonderful daughter in. I know the family will benefit from having you there also. I am so happy to see how nice the house is. I will check out the wikepedia and maps. Have fun. Love you!

Unknown said...

BTW very complicated toilet. I like the running water to cover sounds. dont we all think about that in a public bathroom. Ha Ha.

Unknown said...

Shibuya, fashion center and night like center of Tokyo. Perfect. I cant believe the amount of the people on the street. but the city pictures are beautiful. looks like times square. :)

Mikaela said...

Harajuku is in the Shibuya area :)